Tuesday, March 2, 2010

LAKE TEKAPO

I drove the Wicked Van for the first time today and didn’t stall or crash whoohoo! Although I did notice that Cat was holding onto the side handrail very tightly- maybe it was just my imagination ☺

The diamond of the Mackenzie Country, Lake Tekapo is a delightful alpine village that is world-famous for its beautiful turquoise water and clear, crisp air, which I would definitely have to agree with. The turquoise of the lake’s glacial melt-water contrasting with the gold of tussock grasses creates an amazing landscape to view.




On the Monday that we arrived here I decided to go for a run up the Mt John walkway. Run, what was I thinking?! The 2 hour walk is up hill the entire way, with some sections feeling as though they’re almost vertical! it is definitely not for the faint hearted- and I actually thought I was fit before I did this walk. Half way up the mountain I stopped for a break at one of the look out points. I met a very nice couple that were heading back down and they informed me that the hot chocolate in the sheltered Astro Café makes it all worthwhile. There was only one problem- I didn’t bring my wallet! Thankfully they do have free glasses of water but I would definitely recommend you come better prepared than me. Remember sunscreen, water, hat and MONEY.


(Photo I took from the top- where the cafe is).

The Church of the Good Shepherd

www.exploretainment.com


This Church was built to the glory of God as a memorial to the pioneers of the Mackenzie Country. The foundation stone was laid on January 1935 and despite not being very old is a tourist attraction from all over the world. As we took a self-guided tour inside and around the Church we watched busload after busload arrive and depart and I can see why. The Church is positioned is in the most stunning location and provides majestic views of Lake Tekapo, both inside and outside the Church.

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com
(View from inside the Church)


The Chalet


www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com


As I write this blog, I’m sitting on a very comfortable black leather couch, looking out over Lake Tekapo with Mount Cook far in the distance. No I have not dragged a couch down to the lake’s shore, this is just our amazing view from The Chalet.

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

The Chalet is owned and managed by Zita and Walter who are originally from Switzerland and like to consider your stay Kiwi style, Swiss made. There are six different sized apartments and each are individually designed and positioned (Zita’s interior design skills really shine through in all of the rooms). Four of the Chalets provide breath taking lake views and two studios overlook the beautiful garden.

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

We were fortunate to stay in the Heckel Hut, which offers magnificent panoramic views of Lake Tekapo. The leather couches face the floor to roof window as though it is an enormous plasma screen set on the discovery channel. The actual plasma TV sits in the corner and is easily overshadowed by the ever-changing dramatic scenery. The fully self-contained Chalet is very modern and chic displaying an accord of black, cream and light wooden tones. I have decided to employ Zita as my personal designer when I buy my first home because I absolutely adore the design of the Heckel Hut. The main room is cleverly positioned so as to view the ‘view’ when lying in bed, which allowed me to watch the sun rise from the comfort of my warm king sized bed!

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

The best thing about The Chalet is its proximity to the lake and quiet tranquil surroundings despite being walking distance to the main centre of restaurants and shops. It is close enough to enjoy the amenities but far enough so as to not be disturbed by them.

Studio, one and two bedroom units are available and breakfast can be requested, but is not included in the price. All rooms provide your basic requirements including:

- Kitchen: milk, tea, coffee, Milo (not really basic but very yum!), sugar, salt and pepper
- Bathroom: Hairdryer, shampoo, spare towels, toilet paper
- Laundry: washing machine, dryer, ironing board and iron are available to use at no charge.

For more information visit their website: www.thechalet.co.nz

Earth and Sky Star Gazing Night Tour

Earth and Sky is a local business situated in the township of Lake Tekapo, which offers visitors guided daytime tours around Mount John Observatory as well as night time stargazing tours at Mount John and Cowan’s Hill. No you do not have to hike the ridiculously steep walk that I voluntarily did, it is possible to drive ☺

The famous stargazing night tour begins at the Earth and Sky office in the centre of town, where we boarded the tour bus for the trip up to the summit of Mt John. As the conditions were not so great our astronomy guide Chris, who made the tour very animated and interesting, provided a behind the scenes tour of the telescopes and analysing rooms. It was fascinating to see the nocturnal world of an astronomer and see things that are usually out-of-bounds to the general public. In the mean time the winds had all but ceased and cloud cover virtually disappeared- perfect for stargazing.

www.exploretainment.com


Chris and Christian (our other guide) helped us navigate the southern night sky using a very powerful green laser pointer that can reach as far as 50km. The thrill of peering through the telescope and not knowing what it is you will see is unbelievable. Maybe you will see a planet? Maybe the moon? Maybe some alien staring back at you with another telescope? Well I didn't see any aliens but I was lucky to see two planets, both Mars and Satin. Satin was amazing, I could actually distinguish its rings, which was pretty cool. As we were viewing the moon, there was a discussion as to whether you could see an old man. I told them that I always see a lady’s face with luscious lips and eyelashes- no I was not on crack that night! So we decided to settle on calling her/him Dane Edna.

www.exploretainment.com

After our stargazing we escaped the cold wind in their Astro Café and enjoyed a complimentary hot chocolate. Chris and Christian explained in further detail what it was we were looking at and then it was time to go.

Prices for the 2hour tour start at $80 per adult and $45 per child.

In the morning the manager of Earth and Sky treated us to another gorgeous hot chocolate at the Astro Café some 300 metres above Lake Tekapo. The Café offers splendid views of the township and Lake Tekapo, friendly service and excellent fare. All of the wait staff are very familiar with the area as well as the Observatory and happy to answer any queries you may have.

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

As if Margret hadn’t already given us enough, she generously presented us with complimentary Mt John Observatory t-shirts, which I will be sure to treasure. Mine even has a picture of Dane Edna! Well the old man’s face, which I believe still looks like a lady.




Visit Earth and Sky website for more info on tours: www.newzealandsky.com

No comments:

Post a Comment