Monday, May 3, 2010

PAIHIA

Base Pipi Patch Lodge Backpackers

This Base Backpackers is located in the heart of Paihia in the Bay of Islands. Only 50 metres from the beach and only a short stroll to Paihia’s seaside resort restaurants, cafes and ferry terminals, you couldn’t get more central.



The hostel offers accommodation from private units to share dorms and features a spa and swimming pool, set in a sunny courtyard amongst palm trees. The backpackers cooks a Kiwi BBQ each evening which you can enjoy with a drink in the Pipi Patch Bar. At the end of an active day the Pipi Patch bar is a great place to meet other travellers and locals.



The staff are very friendly and were more than happy to share information about the region. Most of them had experienced the activities first-hand so they knew what they were talking about.

Other great facilities includes free onsite parking, high speed wireless internet, and free bike hire exclusively for hostel guests only.

Prices start from $27 for a dorm room to $68 for an ensuite private room. For more information please visit their website at: www.stayatbase.com

Flying Kiwi Parasailing

Unlike its close cousin paragliding, parasailing is an airborne adventure that absolute beginners can enjoy without having to be strapped to an instructor or be trained.

Parasailing involves being towed behind a fast moving boat while you’re attached to a parachute. When the driver accelerates, you ascend in to the air from a launch platform at the back of the boat. It’s a unique way to experience the Bay of Islands and offers picture perfect views of Paihia, Russell, and the surrounding areas.

We embarked on this unique experience from Paihia Wharf, where we boarded the boat with 4 other people. Once on board we received a briefing and were provided with a life jacket and harness.



When it was my turn to fly, the winch operator connected my harness to the parachute as I sat patiently on the back of the boat. From the launch platform I was gently elevated into the sky up to 1200ft.




Once I was in the air it felt as though everything was in slow motion. I could see the white wash flying out the back of speedboats and people paddling on kayaks, however everything looked motionless as though time had frozen.





As if the view couldn’t get much better, a pod of dolphins and their calves appeared doing flips and summersaults in the water. I had the best seat in the house, so I sat back, relaxed and enjoyed the show that the dolphins put on for me.






Once my 10 minutes was up I felt myself slowly drifting back down to earth. As I was reaching closer and closer to the water I realised what they were up to. “I DON’T WANT TO GET WET!” I yelled at the top of my lungs- luckily they heard me and accelerated so I went back up. Getting dunked in the water is optional however I would let them know before you are in the air.





It’s a flying experience that promises blockbuster views of the Bay of Islands and can be done with a friend or on your own. Prices start from $79. For more information please visit their website at: www.parasail-nz.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment