Sunday, April 18, 2010

TAIHAPE

Mokai Gravity Canyon



I mastered my very first bungy jump and I couldn’t have thought of a better place to do my first jump then at Mokai Gravity Canyon. The staff were amazing. They were really friendly, understanding, patient and just knew exactly what to say to get the end result- diving head first into a canyon from an 80 metres high bridge.

Mokai Gravity Canyon boasts three world-class adventure activities, including the extreme flying fox, the mighty 80 metre bungy and the bridge swing. I was extremely brave and combined the flying fox with the bungy. However I didn’t get a chance to experience the thrill of a 50-metre freefall on the bridge swing. There is always next time!

To warm up for my big jump I decided to do the flying fox first. Imagine being launched from a ledge 175 metres above the river canyon before flying down a 1 kilometre zip line at speeds of up to 160 kilometres/hour. Sound like fun? Well it is! Lying on my stomach in a comfortable cacoon like harness, you actually feel as though you are flying through the canyon- it is pretty incredible.




Walking back from the flying fox my stomach started to flutter with butterflies as I thought about what was next- the North Island’s highest bridge jump. Standing on a ledge 80metres above the river bed with nothing but a bungy rope strapped to your feet is the most daunting experience I have ever encountered. I honestly didn’t think I could do it. I’ve always said ‘skydiving bring it on but bungy jumping- hell no’, so I was surprised when I actually jumped!









Before I knew it I was back in the café enjoying a chai latte and watching the video of my bungy jump. What an experience!



Opening hours: 9am- 5pm. They even open for night activities on request. Price for one activity $120, $195 for two activities and $270 for those who are brave enough to experience all three!


National Army Museum Waiouru

Centrally located off State Highway 1 and halfway between Auckland and Wellington, The National Army Museum makes for an excellent day out. With an extensive military collection and excellent educational facilities for children the museum offers a look into New Zealand’s military history.




Because it took me a little longer than expected to bungy jump we didn’t have very long to explore the museum, which was a shame. I would recommend at least 2 hours to experience everything the museum has to offer.

Carlene took us on a tour of the museum and she was a great host! Before our tour I was able to take a military car for a drive, which was seriously cool!




As we toured the museum we were engaged in stories of New Zealand soldiers and the history and development of the army. It was very moving to relive the horrific deaths of the heroes that fought the New Zealand’s battles. Dress up in army attire, sit and watch a film about the history of New Zealand or have a bite to eat in the café. There is something for everyone.






The museum café offers a relaxing atmosphere and a range meal and snack options. Freshly baked daily the café has great food and friendly service.

Admission Prices:
Adults- $12
Child- $7


Taihape Motels

Located in the quaint town of Taihape this motel offers a range of units from luxury to 1 &2 bedroom family units. After a long day of accomplishments (the bungy) we were very happy to arrive at the motel.



Con was extremely friendly and welcoming as he showed us to our room. He greeted us with a bottle of wine and packets of chips we settled into Taihape Motels within minutes.

Our room was surrounded by beautiful rose gardens and featured a self-contained kitchen, clean bathroom, a queen-sized bed and two singles. The beds were very comfortable and provided me with the deep sleep that I needed. There is also Sky TV, Wireless broadband and video player with a free extensive video library.



Only a 2 minutes walk in to the town centre, Taihape Motels is ideally located. Prices start from $65. For more information visit their website at: www.taihapemotels.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment