Friday, February 26, 2010

RAKAIA GORGE

Inflatable Kayaking Adventure With Full On and Discovery Jets

Today was definitely my favourite day! It was our second day with Full On and as the name suggests was just as ‘full on’ as day one. We drove from Methven to Rakaia Gorge Bridge where we met Joel our guide for the day. Rakaia Gorge is located on the Rakaia River in inland Canterbury in New Zealand’s South Island- it took around half an hour to drive from Methven.



First off we changed into something a little more appropriate, including:
- Thick long-sleeve shirt (otherwise known as a polypropylene)
- Wetsuit
- Booties
- Wind proof jacket
- Life jacket
- Helmet

www.exploretainment.com

And I thought the wetsuits we wore swimming with the dolphins were bad! However it was very necessary because the water is freezing and there is a 99.9% chance that you will capsize.

It was so awesome because our ride to the starting point of our kayaking adventure was on a Discovery Jet! I held on with excitement as the jet boat zoomed up the river (which isn’t very deep at all) doing 360 degree turns and going within inches of the rock walls. There were two other people on our boat and I don’t think the lady opened her eyes the whole time!

www.exploretainment.com

As I absorbed the dramatic and ever changing scenery it was obvious that our driver knew the Rakaia River like the back of his hand. He skillfully weaved the jet boat through the braided river channels and skimmed along the stony banks.

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

Once we reached our destination we grabbed all the equipment for kayaking and set off on our adventure with Cat and Joel in one kayak and me in another. The scenery is just spectacular as you journey between the towering cliffs with the Southern Alps set in the background. It really is magical.

www.exploretainment.com

But enough about the scenery because here comes the white water rapids! It was so hard to dodge the rock cliffs, exposed rocks and the other kayak but boy was it fun!

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

After Cat and I jumped out of our kayaks to float on our backs down the river, Cat and I ended up in the same kayak. Before we had a chance to get our paddling in sync our boat caught hold of some rapids and off we went again. Screaming with excitement we tried very hard to miss the rock wall but this was all but impossible as we braced ourselves for the collision. In the background we heard joel saying lean into the wall but of course instinct took over as we both leaned the other way. Before I could blink an eye our boat was upside down and I was fighting my way to the surface- apparently the look on my face when I first appeared was priceless! But we survived.


(After our capsize)

We turned our boat upright and climbed back in, which isn’t very easy at all as you are still floating with the rapid current. As the shock wore off I replayed the image of us capsizing in my head and started laughing hysterically! I couldn’t stop laughing, every time I would remember the scenario Id start to giggle again!

Just before the adventure was about to end Joel took us rock jumping. We anchored our kayaks into a secluded bay and climbed up onto a massive rock. We ran and leaped out into the air and landed in the icy cold water- see this is why you need all the warm gear. Joel was waiting with the kayaks only a few meters away so we climbed back in and then the adventure was over ☹

Visit Full On’s website for information on other activities in the region: www.fullon.co.nz

Terrace Downs Golf Resort

After our action packed morning on the Rakaia River we headed up the mountain to Terrace Downs Golf Resort for what we thought was just going to be lunch. So I was very surprised to hear that our afternoon itinerary consisted of archery and clay pigeon shooting followed by a trip to the spa. Talk about indulgence!

Terrace Downs Resort offers in-house and casual visitors a unique one-stop New Zealand getaway destination. It is located just twenty minutes from the Mt Hutt access road and within an easy hour's scenic drive of Christchurch International Airport. As we drove through the stone gates leading into Terrace Downs it was very apparent how luxurious this resort is. The first word that came out of my mouth was WOW. I never imagined a place like this could actually exist. My first thought was it must be extremely expensive to stay here. However I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that they have packages that start at $249 a night for a one-bedroom villa. For some, this may seem like a lot of money but Terrace Downs is a place of indulgence and it is utterly worth every cent.



At lunch we were completely spoiled. Again prices for the lunch menu are not what I expected. There was a range of meals for under $20- I ordered the steak and salad, which was delicious. There are three on-site restaurants ranging from fine dining to a more relaxed setting.

www.exploretainment.com

The wait-staff were very friendly, checking if our meals were up to standard and if we were right for drinks. As I sipped on my glass of wine and nibbled on my sumptuous steak, I stared out across the golf course and took in the stunning view of Mt Hutt. The location is just magnificent!

www.exploretainment.com

After our main meal we had a browse through the desert menu and it was just too tempting to pass up. I was miss piggy and ate a massive slice of chocolate mud cake all on my own. I savored every single bite ☺

Next on the agenda was archery and clay pigeon shooting with Chris. As we walked down to the shooting range, we listened to Chris as he told us the history of Terrace Downs. I’ve never held a real gun before so it was such a shock to feel how heavy it is. It really takes a lot of upper strength to hold the gun for a long time. Chris demonstrated how to use the gun and then I was first up. When I fired my first shot I nearly ricocheted to the ground. After a while I got into the swing of things and I was able to hit 2 of the clay pigeons. Mind you this was out of 25 chances so I didn’t do so well!

www.exploretainment.com

However I was even worse at archery! I didn’t have the steady hand or eye to keep the arrow straight. Cat was awesome at archery- I think it must be her long lost calling!

www.exploretainment.com

The outdoor activities kept us busy until around 4pm and then we headed for the spaaaaaaahhhhh (its not as effective unless you round out the ah). Before my treatment I was able to laze on the couch with my herbal refreshments in their relaxation room. The unique balance of incense, background music and dim lighting makes up a very relaxing ambience.

I experienced their Signature Jasmine Treatment. The 2.5 hr treatment consists of the Jasmine Body Exfoliation, Jasmine Aromatic Massage and Water Lily Purifying Facial. All up it costs $270 but OMG it is amazing. I was floating on cloud nine once therapists were finished with me.

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

Terrace Downs were kind enough to give us a key to one of their two bedroom villas just for the afternoon. So after the spa we went back to the room, where I was able to do some work on my blog.

www.exploretainment.com

Catering to all guests the resort features deluxe one-to-four bedroom accommodation. Terrace Downs offers a choice of two deluxe accommodation options. Terrace Villa Suites are self-contained units with luxurious beds, a delightful raised spa bath and spacious open-plan living areas. The Villas range from one to three bedroom suites. The Fairway Chalets are separate architecturally designed three to four bedroom houses. They are spread out amongst the front nine holes of the golf course and boast all modern conveniences. The Chalets provide great indoor-outdoor living areas with stunning views over the golf course to Mt Hutt.




If you are a keen golfer Terrace Downs offers a par 72, 18-hole championship golf course, rated as one of the top courses and golfing destinations in New Zealand.



For more information about Terrace Downs visit their website at: http://www.terracedowns.co.nz

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just wanted to let you know about some great Golf Destinations at "Linksworldgolf.com". Use the world map to help guide you to your dream golf vacation destination. All vacations are fully customizable to suit every golfers idea of the perfect golf vacation.

Unknown said...

Hi Nicquel - great to hear you had a good time on the River with Discovery Jet and Full On and then later up at Terrace Downs Resort. Was great to have you and we wish you all the best for the rest of your big adventure. Safe travels! Jon Doherty, Director of Sales & Marketing, Terrace Downs Resort

Post a Comment