Sunday, February 28, 2010

PEEL FOREST/ GERALDINE

Peel Forest Park is a remnant of a magnificent forest which once covered an area of 3500 hectares in mid-Canterbury. Now only 700 hectares remain, but what is left of the forest is rich, diverse and very beautiful! The forest is right near Geraldine and only 1.5 hours drive from Christchurch.

Peel Forest Lodge

www.exploretainment.com

I have decided to allow the people accommodating us in each town to draw the dot on our map for their town. This will be the beginning photo for each town's blog from now on :)

Access to the lodge is through a profound forest of trees, which was a huge contrast to our bright pink, purple and blue wicked van. When we first arrived at Peel Forest Lodge, I had my first real country experience. Bert greeted us with his hands covered in deer blood (yes deer blood) and asked me if I like meat. I was reluctant to answer yes and before I knew it I was in his shed watching him butcher a deer. It doesn’t get more country or organic than that.

The fully self-contained lodge can comfortably accommodate up to 9 people and is equipped with a spacious kitchen ideal for hosting large groups. The log cabin was built to the family’s design 16 years ago using locally grown logs and is now a 4 star holiday lodge. The peaceful secluded location blends in complete harmony with the natural timbers of the lodge- unlike our conspicuous van!


www.exploretainment.com


www.exploretainment.com

The luxurious lodge is very private with a grand backdrop of Mount Peel and the Southern Alps behind. The tranquil private setting of the lodge provided an ideal escape to work on my blog. Pennie, Bert and their daughter Millie live in a separate house down from the Lodge so apart from another couple we had the lodge to ourselves.

www.exploretainment.com

www.exploretainment.com

We dined out for dinner at Peel Forest bar, store and restaurant (the only shop in town) however meals can be provided. In the morning we enjoyed a continental breakfast prepared by Pennie, which included fruit, cereal, yogurt and bagels.

www.exploretainment.com

After breakfast Bert took us on a 2hour River and Forest Trek. This is definitely not your ordinary follow the leader type horse trek. My horse’s name was Spirit and she was such a beautiful horse. After we were briefed on riding skills and fitted with a helmet we were off on our adventure.




The first part of our trek was a very steep gravel hill and then straight into the lush forest. Before our trek I told Bert that I wanted to trot at some point on our journey. Initially I had no idea how to hold onto the reigns, steer Spirit, stop if necessary and hold onto the saddle all at the same time. I honestly nearly bounced right out of my saddle as she was flying through the forest. I would love to have seen my face because I was petrified! Thankfully Spirit did stop when she reached Bert’s horse. Bert provided a quick demonstration on how to hold the reigns (so I could steer and stop her) as well as hold onto the saddle and then we were trotting again.



The bush trail led us along the Rangitata River and what started off as quite shallow quickly turned into very deep water. Before I knew it I was up to my waist in water and my horse, Spirit was actually swimming! (I told you it wasn’t your average horse trek). We reached dry land all safe and sound, and just a little bit wet. Honestly the best horse trek I have ever been on!






Horse trek costs $55 for one hour and accommodation prices start at $350. For more information please visit their website at http://www.peelforestlodge.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment